Late last year my dear wonderful loving mother looked her baby girl in the face with a loving look in her eyes that quickly turned into a look of disgust and concern. She asked me in her thick sweet Nigerian accent, “What is this nonsense all over your face?” Before I could even answer she replied with, “I am going to get you some black seed oil soap and oil to get rid of that, your skin used to look so nice.” “We have to have you looking your best I need you to get married.” Without the last part about needing to marry me off with perfect skin, I was open to her recommendations because she was right my skin had never looked worse. I had never even heard of black seed oil but I figured I had nothing to lose and everything to gain. I was never one to have acne even during the hormonal teenage years so having acne and uneven skin in my 30s was frustrating to say the least. So that night I looked up all of the benefits of black seed oil and I was blown away.
Health Benefits of Black Seed Oil:
Black seed oil has shown promise in treating some of the most common health conditions, including high blood pressure and asthma. It also shows strong antifungal activity against Candida albicans — yeast that can overgrow in the body and lead to candidiasis. Examples of other black seed oil health benefits include:
- Reducing high blood pressure: Taking black cumin seed extract for two months has been shown to reduce high blood pressure in people whose blood pressure is mildly elevated.
- Reducing high cholesterol: Taking black seed oil has been shown to reduce high cholesterol. It’s high in healthy fatty acids that can help you maintain healthier cholesterol levels. Examples of these fatty acids include linoleic acids and oleic acid. The levels of the oils can vary depending on where the black seeds are grown. People may also see results when consuming the crushed seeds.
- Improving rheumatoid arthritis symptoms: Taking oral black seed oil may help to reduce inflammatory rheumatoid arthritis symptoms.
- Decreasing asthma symptoms: The anti-inflammatory effects of black seed oil may extend to improving asthma symptoms. Its effect in reducing inflammation in the airways may also help with bronchitis symptoms.
- Reducing stomach upset: Eating black seeds or taking black seed oil is associated with relieving stomach pain and cramps. The oil can help to reduce gas, stomach bloating, and the incidence of ulcers as well.
Beauty benefits of Black seed oil:
Black seed oil has several applications and benefits for problematic skin conditions. The oil is found in many health foods stores and pharmacies. Examples of applications for beauty and skin include:
- Acne: According to the Journal of Dermatology & Dermatologic Surgery, applying a lotion prepared with 10 percent black seed oil significantly reduced the incidence of acne after two months. Those who participated in the study reported 67 percent satisfaction.
- Hydrating hair: Black seed oil can be applied to human hair to soften it and promote shine.
- Psoriasis: Applying black seed oil has been shown to reduce the incidence of psoriasis plaques.
- Softening skin: Black seed oil has been added to oils and moisturizers to improve skin moisture and hydration.
- Wound healing: Application of black seed oil has been shown to reduce inflammation and the presence of bacteria to aid in wound healing. While it doesn’t seem to be helpful in growing new collagen fibers, it does stimulate other growth factors to help the body create new, healthy skin.
Remember, black seed oil shouldn’t replace prescription treatments that a doctor may give you. But it does have some beauty benefits that can work in addition to these treatments to enhance your skin.
*Black seed oil has been shown to have antioxidant properties. These can help relieve inflammation inside the body and on the skin. Herbs and supplements are not monitored by the FDA. Research and use reputable brands.
I have been using it now orally and topically for a few months now and here are my skin results. I am also going to post my skin care regimen because it has been a combination of a few things, including the black seed oil that have helped me restore my skin back to its beautiful flawless condition.