I don’t know about you but during summertime my favorite place to be is next to some water, whether on a beach or near a pool it’s my happy place. Not only is it good for relaxation and cooling down during hot summers but it also works wonders for our bodies. So I wanted to share with all of you the internal and external benefits of water.
The human body is made up of almost 70% water. This is because water makes up the majority of the composition of our cells. Our bodies need it to function properly so it is important that we intake a healthy amount of water daily. Some people don’t like drinking water let alone the recommended amount a day (half of your body weight in ounces), mostly because a soda, juice, coffee, or a cocktail seem like a better option but beware. Sugar slows down the absorption of fluids into the body, additionally such drinks contain calories that usually make the difference between weight loss and weight gain. Alas, there is good news! Drinking water is not the only way that we can meet our recommended intake, certain foods contain a significant amount of water that just by eating them we help ourselves meet the recommended goal. Here is a list of five fruits and veggies that have the highest water content.
– Watermelon (92% water) - Strawberries (92% water) - Grapefruits (91% water) - Cantaloupe (90% water) - Peaches (88% water)
- Lettuce (96% water) - Cucumber (96% water) - Celery (95% water) - Radish (95% water) - Zucchini (95% water)
For those of you who think that drinking less water means less pounds on the scale, bear in mind that the more water we consume, the less we retain, because a clean inner body works more effectively. So the next time you are looking a little puffy or having some swelling get yourself a glass of water and add 2-3 drops of lemon essential oil that could definitely help to alleviate the problem. This works great for me especially when I don’t want to take a waterpill that can contribute to other issues like hypotension. There is not a single diet in the world that restricts water consumption. So here you go welcome to the Wonderful World of Water!
External benefits of water:
- Additional moisture for our skin -
- Prevents the aging process
- Drinking enough water combats skin disorders like psoriasis, wrinkles and eczema. It also increases the metabolic rate and improves digestive system to flush out toxins from the body. This in turn gives you a healthy and glowing skin.
- A nice cold shower and a relaxing bath calm the nerves and reduce the stress related damage to the skin. Soak your entire body in cold water for 2 to 3 minutes to rejuvenate the skin. Long exposure of the skin to water can strip off the natural oils, so don’t stretch your bathing or shower duration.
- Cold water bath eliminates redness of the skin and sets the skin for better makeup application. After opening the pores by washing them with warm water, you can seal them by splashing with cold water. Cold water tightens the pores and prevents them from getting clogged. It reduces the appearance of acne.
- A cold water compress can also help to reduce under-eye inflammation. As the water evaporates from the skin, the surface becomes cooler. Splashing cold water on the eyes can also reduce eye puffiness. There are plenty of water-rich eye gels which you can use for a long-term solution.
- Cold water rinse leaves the hair glossy and shiny. The cold temperature constricts the hair cuticles to make the strands smoother and more reflective. It also prevents dirt from accumulating on the scalp and makes hair stronger.
Internal benefits of water:
- Headaches: 75% of our brain is made of water. So, when the body has a water deficit, the brain will be the one of the first who will signal the problem, causing headaches. When drinking alcohol, although some might not recommend, water might be the solution to get back in shape because it eliminates toxins and re-hydrates the brain.
- Back pains: are often caused by fluid deficits in our bodies. The disks within our backs are filled with fluids, mainly water, and act like shock absorbers. Regular movement and a proper fluid level will keep these disks hydrated and will allow them to support the weight of the upper body. Usually, the fluid inside the disks support 75% of the weight, while the shell supports 25% of it. When the fluid level drops, the shell is forced to support a higher weight level, causing pains and other problems.
- Reduces infections: The lymphatic systems in our body is responsible for waste disposal. This system breaks down toxins before passing them into the blood stream. A low intake of water will disturb the flow of lymph in our systems, making our bodies less resistant to dangerous infections.
- Hypertension often occurs when the human body is trying to adjust to blood volume loss. Our blood is almost 85% water, so its volume depends a lot of the water intake. When the body detects a drop in the blood volume, it closes less active capillary beds in order to maintain active areas proper fueled with blood. When vessels close, they cause a tension increase in the muscles. So, water helps by increasing the blood volume and thus, reducing tension.
- Concentration: water is used to flush out toxins contained by certain food products (preservatives, additives, etc.). By drinking water, these toxins are flushed quickly from the liver, making you more active and increasing your concentration capacity.
- Arthritis: water is used to lubricate joints between our bones. When water intake is low, the friction between cartilage surfaces increases, causing swellings, pains, etc.
- Breath: bad breath is a clear sign that your body needs more water. Our saliva helps the cleaning process of our teeth of bacteria and keeps our tongue hydrated.
- Cramps: oxygen is transported to our muscles by blood. If the blood is not properly oxygenated, muscles create lactic acid causing cramps. By drinking water we make sure that our blood is fueled with oxygen.
- Alleviates asthma, fluid retention, morning sickness, and an important factor of proper digestion.
A properly hydrated body is a healthier, beautiful, and resistant body.